First of all I unscrewed the seat and put that aside for re-upholstery later. I stated with an electric sander but I didn't really like the noise and dust, it wasn't very relaxing! So I changed to sand paper and block. It was much more time consuming but I really got a feel for the chair and you sort of get into a rhythm.
Once I had sanded it down I did the first coat of primer. This was my first chair to re-do so I learnt from my mistakes as I went along. My first mistake was painting the primer onto thickly, I needed a smaller brush. On the next chair I watered down the primer. After each coat the chair was sanded down. I found that it was better to do a thin coat then sand when dry. It needed more coats but the finish was much better.
I did three thin coats of primer. I was super eager to get painting, the first chair was a bit rushed and I learnt that taking time to sand in between coats had a lovely smooth finish.
Sanded down ready for first coat of primer
After four thin coats and sanding in between, I was ready to start on the seat.
I referred to a few upholstery books. The base was good so I was ready to put it back together with new foam and calico.
I finished by putting the calico base on. On the 2nd chair I doubled the calico so that is wasn't see through.
Ta Da!!! My finished chair.
It was so satisfying and I loved every minute. On the 2nd chair I cut the edges of the foam so that I wasn't so square.